Friday, June 16, 2017

Results Follow as Gatt’s Role Increases





Finding his place within the Rapids has taken some time for midfielder Joshua Gatt since he came across from Minnesota United FC early in 2017.  However, fans can see him settling into his role and the comfort level with teammates increasing which is not a coincidence to Colorado’s recent winning ways.

Josh said that not only has it taken time to figure out where he fits in but also for teammates to do the same as well.  “It’s just kind of fitting into the team and finding out where everybody else fits in the team.  When you’re a new guy you have to find where you fit in and how you fit in, and not only that but you have to adapt your style to how a team plays,” Josh told The Voice of C38.

Gatt admits part of that process has been to remember the things he does well and apply them with his new team where they can effectively use his skills.  “Every team plays differently, every team wants different things out of you and I think now I’m trying to figure out what they want from me, how they want me to play, and what I can do for them.”

“When I first came here I wanted to make a good impact and be part of the team and I was so focused on doing the team job that I kind of strayed away from all the things that I do personally-I like to run at guys, I like to dribble and create chances, and that’s one of my strengths.  I’m starting to get back to what got me here in the first place mixing in with what the best for the team is.”

“It’s just as much for them as it is for me being the new guy in they have to learn what type of player I am,” Josh says regarding his Colorado teammates.  “Not only are they learning what type of player I am but they’re learning to trust me as well.  When new guys come to the team you have to try and figure out if you can trust these guys playing passes because it’s normal.”

“Now with me being here these guys know, ‘if he’s running we can kick it to him’, ‘let’s feed it to him because he can beat one guy’.  We’re starting to learn how all of us play together as a group and it’s the reason we’ve been able to string wins together.”

As the Rapids continue an important run of home matches this month, and his minutes have begun to increase, Gatt knows he, along with the entire roster, will be called upon at some point and the parts have to be interchangeable in order for the Rapids to succeed. 

“We have a huge schedule of games coming up and there’s going to be a lot of minutes available.  I’m going to play, we all are, and the most important thing is getting results-getting points. As a player you want to play well personally but the most important thing is the success of the team.  However the team gains success you have to be willing to accept it.”

Portland comes to town at the weekend as a bit of a hard team to figure out as Colorado aims to continue their home form.  Central to that success will be to get on the front foot and score first as the home side to which Gatt is already lending his speed and determination to go at goal.

“If I play, the goal for me is just create,” Josh says bluntly.  “I want to do be able to create chances for the team and find opportunities to score because that’s what I’m here to do is to create chances.  I’m starting to get my rhythm more and more with that, getting more and more confident, if I get the opportunity I’m going to take it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment